Guide to Patio Cover Kits.
If you love spending time in the great outdoors but not necessarily in the hot sun, patio cover kits can give you the coverage and style you need.
When it comes to choosing the right kit, it’s important to make sure that you find one that’s easy to install, and that offers you the style and functionality you want for an enjoyable time outside. Read on to learn more about DIY patio cover kits and how to install them so you can get out there and relax worry-free.
All About DIY Patio Cover Kits.
Spending time outside is fun, but the sun’s hot UV rays can put a damper on your enjoyment. With a patio cover kit, you can enjoy a shaded area while adding a stylish look to your home at the same time. These kits are versatile, beautiful, affordable, and easy to install.
Aluminum patio cover kits are perfect to protect you and your family from the sun, snow, and rain during any season. The insulated roof system can be installed onto any new or existing structure. They can also be designed to complement your roof’s current design for a seamless, attractive look.
One of the most important features of these patio cover kits is the insulated panels. Constructed of a high-density polystyrene core, they offer incredible strength, and they’re engineered to meet or exceed even the most strict building codes.
Aluminum DIY patio cover kits are extremely versatile and can be ordered to your exact specifications. Choose your desired length and width, and enjoy a modern stylish cover over your patio, deck, carport, and more.
You can personalize your kit by choosing your favorite color, upgrade your kit with architectural columns, and even add fan beams to install outdoor ceiling fans. An optional skylight is also available that allows you to enjoy natural sunlight while getting simultaneous shade.
The sleek, modern look of these patio cover kits makes them a fantastic addition to any home. With the ability to choose colors and features, it’s easy to get a custom look that will add value and beauty to your outdoor space.
Do it DIY.
If you’re looking for a new outdoor renovation project or you just enjoy doing most home improvement projects yourself, these aluminum patio cover kits are a great choice. Not only are they beautiful, effective, and easy to install, but they’ll also save you money if you’re looking to do a home update DIY.
You can choose a standard-sized cover or opt to build something you customize completely on your own. Whichever way you go, the kit will provide you with an attractive covering that will protect you from the blazing hot sun or driving rain.
The kits have been fully tested to handle the tough hurricane wind loads common in the South East part of Florida. When installed correctly, your new patio cover will last for many years to come and bring you lots of enjoyment at home.
An online installation video guide is provided to give you step-by-step instructions on the building process. Use the video along with the included installation guide, and you should be able to enjoy your new patio cover in no time.
Technical support is also included in case you need help during installation. Some projects may need a building permit, so check with your local jurisdiction before you begin the installation process. If you live in a neighborhood with an HOA, check with your homeowner’s association to ensure that you’re able to add a patio cover.
Important Things to Consider.
Before you decide which patio cover kit you need, there are some crucial things to consider in order to ensure a successful installation. Here are some tips to guide you as you shop for your patio cover kit:
Make sure your kit gives you the coverage you need. Measure carefully and ensure that your new patio cover is large enough to give you adequate shade, but not too large that it won’t attach to your home correctly.
Browse various color choices to make sure you select something that will match your home. Bright white is a versatile choice, but other colors like black and brown can add a modern, sophisticated look.
Think about the options available and whether or not you need to install an outdoor ceiling fan or if you’d like something extra like decorative columns.
Don’t hesitate to ask questions before you buy. The more information you have ahead of time, the more you’ll be able to make an informed decision about your DIY kit.
Consider where you want to install your new patio cover. You can add it to the front or back of your home, over a paved patio or carport, or anywhere you need extra shade where you spend most of your time outside.
The Installation Process.
When you receive your new patio cover kit, it’s time to get started on the installation. Start by gathering all of the parts and tools together and putting them in the location where you plan to install the cover so everything is one place.
- Measure the width of your desired location and record it on a piece of paper. Next, do the same thing with the height so you know exactly how high the patio cover will be.
Mesure the C-channel and prepare to cut it if you need to. Using a miter saw, cut the C-channel to the correct length.
- Drill your first hole four-inches from the end of the C-channel. Repeat this step on the opposite end. Continue drilling holes in the C-channel at a length of 12-inches apart.
Caulk the back of your C-channel using the included solar seal, and be sure you apply enough caulk to ensure proper insulation to protect against water penetration. Secure the C-channel to the structure with the longer tip at the top. Use the included 1/4-inch tapcons to attach it to the wall.
- As you secure the C-channel, use a hammer drill with a 1/4 concrete drill bit for best results. Once it’s attached, apply a second layer of caulk to the outside between the C-channel and the wall to ensure a good seal.
Building the Frame.
- After the C-channel is attached, lay your posts and beams out on the ground in the correct design and spacing. Cut two inches from each beam to allow one-inch on each side for the fascia.
Mark your location of the end post on each beam, leaving about 12-inches of overhang on each side. Insert your beam into the post and find the center. Mark the holes for the insertion of the 3/8 hex bolts.
- Drill two 3/8 holes on each post, and use the hex bolts to secure them in place. Mark the location of the two end posts, allowing for a 12-inch overhang on each side.
Installing the Panels.
- Install your first overhead panel, making sure that the female end is on the outside. You will probably need some help with this step since the panel will be high up and a bit heavy to handle on your own.
- Push the panel under the longer lip and keep pushing gently until it’s flush to the wall. Secure each panel with a tek screw #12 at 2-inches on the edge of both sides. Repeat this process ensuring about an 11-inch gap between each tek screw, and then do the same thing for the top of the panel.
- Secure the outer edge of the panel to your beam using the appropriate tek screws, and use one screw on each end of the panel. Level the front side of the panel before you secure it to the beam.
Continue to attach each panel securely, making sure each one is level before attaching it to the post. When you install the last panel, cut the male side before you attach it to the post so it’s flush using a grinder.
- Once the last panel is cut and installed, use an aluminum drill bit to cut the angle brackets. Cut two 3/8 holes on the top and one 3/8 hole on the bottom of each bracket.
Use an aluminum drill bit to attach each angle bracket to the bottom of each side of the post. Make sure each one is level to your porch or patio at the bottom before attaching.
Your DIY patio cover kit includes an E-gutter to keep water away from your home. Follow the instructions carefully to ensure that you install this portion correctly.
The kit also includes the fascia for each side of the cover. It’s important to make sure that every component is level throughout the installation process.
Once you attach the E-gutter and the fascia, seal the roof and joints. This step will ensure that your new patio cover is watertight and will stay leak-free.
Enjoy Your Patio Today.
Installing patio cover kits is a great way to get the shade and cover you need. With a DIY kit, you can enjoy the process of installing it yourself to experience the money-saving convenience and beauty that a patio cover kit provides.
To find out more about our functional, cost-effective patio kits and more, visit our website or contact us today.Share